The human resources department within any organization is considered to be highly critical for the entire organization. In order to function optimally, however, human resources departments must have the right tools and resources in place. A human resources information system, or HRIS, is a type of software program that can be utilized within the department to help human resources employees and managers improve their productivity and the results of their efforts.
- What is HRIS Systems?
- Types of HRIS Systems
- Top HRIS Systems
What is HRIS Systems?
A HRIS (human resources information system) or human resources management system (HRMS) refers to systems and technology that manage all of the complex processes and functions of the HR department. They can be used from the time an employee is recruited through his or her entire life cycle, such as storing employee data, managing payrolls, recruitment processes, benefits administration, and keeping track of attendance records
With leveraging the help of a technological solution like an HRIS can help you save time, cut costs, and manage your staff better.
Types of HRIS Systems
HRIS systems typically fall under two categories: HCM Solutions and HRMS Solutions. Here are the differences between the two.
HCM stands for Human Capital Management. It’s refers to applications that are intended to help an organization manage and maintain its workforce. This solutions are focused on the organizational need to provide specific competencies and are implemented in three categories: workforce acquisition, workforce management and workforce optimization.
Generally speaking, HCM solutions have features that can help companies with many aspects of planning. Salary planning, goal setting, budgeting, and succession planning can all typically be done with HCM systems. Analytics and performance assessments can also be used to track progress and make alterations to plans.
HRMS, or Human Resources Management Systems, may contain some of the same elements as HCM solutions, but they also have numerous tools to assist employees as well. These usually include an efficient and flexible way for workers to clock in and out, manage their schedules, and easily communicate with the team even if they are working from a remote location.
Most HRMS software does at least some basic form of payroll processing. Payroll systems will also conduct necessary accounting and may even print the actual paychecks.. HRIS systems that conduct payroll operations also usually manage benefits information, such as medical coverage and retirement accounts. These tie in closely with payroll but are also tracked alongside other employee information such as salary and paid time off.
Top HRIS Systems
To choose the best human resource software to suit a business’s needs, successful companies establish a process to determine the stakeholders, identify the critical requirements, evaluate the options and select the alternative that fulfills the criteria. In this article we will go over the top HRIS systems chosen by our team to help you find the right fit for the needs and budget of you and your company.
BambooHR is an American technology company that provides HRIS systems as a service for small and midsize businesses. In general, BambooHR is a very good tool that will be useful to any company. It’s also have friendly user interface (UI) that is the best in its class. The quality of the functions and the result is simply overwhelming. This product is convenient, it is reinforced by good help from the support service and is somewhat underpriced.
With BambooHR, tracking employee records and information has never been easier. From standard categories like personal and pay info to as much custom data as you want, you can manage all of your key data in one secure HRIS database. Plus, it’s accessible from anywhere at anytime (including a mobile app), so you’ll always have the information you need.
BambooHR provides HR process automation tools that are accessible in several languages and multiple currencies. It’s offers two packages: Essentials and Advantage.
Essential Package Features
- HR management – Includes Employee Records, Benefit Tracking, Reporting, Document Storage, Access Levels, Workflows & Approvals, and Email Alerts.
- Employee Self-Service – Includes Time-Off Management, Employee Directory & Org Chart, Company Calendar, Mobile App, and Single Sign-On.
- Customer Support – Includes Email Support and access to Webinar Library.
Advantage Package Features
Everything in Essential Package plus:
- Customer Support can be reached by phone.
- Hiring & Onboarding – Includes Applicant Tracking System (ATS), Onboarding, Offboarding, Electronic Signature, and Training Tracking.
- Advanced Components – Includes Advanced Reporting, Tailored Workflows & Approvals, Custom Access Levels, Custom Email Alerts, Custom Tabs & Fields, Company Branding, and Audit Trail.
- Integrations / Data Sharing – Includes BambooHR Open API and access to BambooHR Marketplace
BambooHR Mobile App
Bamboohr provides mobile app that allows you take some of those most important functions with you, and makes your most common tasks in BambooHR simple and fast. In BambooHR Mobile App you can:
- See colleague’s information and call, email, or message them with a tap. You can also quickly add someone’s info to your phone’s contacts
- Plan and Manage Time Off – Request time off when you’re out and about. Leave requests can be submitted in the app, and if you’re an approver, you can approve them there as well.
- And more..
In addition to email and phone support, BambooHR has a community support feature where users can communicate about the product and get answers, help with troubleshooting, etc.
BambooHR pricing isn’t readily available on their website. According to G2 Crowd, pricing is between $6 and $8 per month (per employee). Users are allowed to cancel their subscription anytime, and a free 7-day trial is also available.
Emphasis on employee self-service and is affordable for smaller businesses. The idea of on-boarding a new employee electronically is a huge plus. It engages employees before they start and makes it so that they come in with paperwork already filled out and spend their first day doing more than just paperwork. BambooHR also has one of the easiest and most intuitive interfaces
Many people who used BambooHR wish there was more flexibility for integration with other Systems. Learning management feature isn’t offered.
Workday HCM is a cloud-based HRIS Systems designed to manage global businesses. It’s can unify finance and HR, giving you real-time insights, global visibility, and predictive analytics. The program offers payroll, financial, and human capital management solutions designed for modern organizations.
This HR software built from the ground up and delivered in the cloud. It is the one of the best global enterprise application that unifies human resources, benefits, talent management, payroll, time and attendance as well as recruitment.
- Human resource management – This features lets you manage the full worker lifecycle, from staffing to compensation to career growth.
- Global compliance – In this features, you can keep up with regulatory changes around the globe. Workday is built with compliance in mind.
- Workforce planning Empower – It’s a HR and operations management to build workforce plans that align with business goals, while giving finance instant visibility into expense and revenue impact.
- Reporting and Analytics – By providing a complete, actionable and dynamic picture of your talent supply and demand, Workday Workforce Reporting and Analytics empowers business leaders to make better, more informed decisions on critical business issues.
- Recruiting – Quickly find the best and brightest by understanding your entire talent pool. With this features, you can plan, hire, and onboard using a single HCM application.
- Talent management – Align talent, pay for performance, and develop tomorrow’s leaders. Workday Talent Management lets you do all that and more.
- Learning – With Workday, you can engage employees at every stage in their career through shareable learning experiences accessible on any device.
- Compensation – Get the tools you need to design competitive packages that attract and retain talent anywhere.
- Benefits – Define, manage, and adjust benefits to meet your organization’s unique requirements. Workday offer a full spectrum of benefits, such as health, retirement, wellness, and more. It’s also embrace evolving regulations, such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and ensure that eligible employees are covered.
- Time and absence management – Manage your entire workforce, anytime, anywhere. Workday provide your people with a truly mobile and intuitive system.
- Expenses – With workday, you can capture receipts and submit expense reports on any device.
- Audit and internal controls – In workday, you get a comprehensive record of transactions with complete audit trails. It’s increase efficiency and reduce the cost of internal and external audits.
Workday Mobile App
Workday mobile app provides secure mobile access to your Workday enterprise cloud applications. The app also enables you to keep your important business transactions with you when you are on-the-go and away from your desk.
Workday has created a support team called Workday Support to help provide answers and resolutions to questions or issues. The customer can file a request for support via the online Workday Customer Center. Once the request has been made, customers will receive a case number and a confirmation email, as well as status updates. The request then gets routed to the appropriate customer service representative.
Customers can access Workday Community for additional resources, such as product documentation, get information on new features, and communicate with other customers.
Workday does not publish their prices on their website. According to a third party site, Workday charges based on the number of modules and users on the platform. Their prices start at $100 to $200 per employee for a minimum 3-year contract.
Workday is an intuitive and simple app that even lay users can use easily without IT expertise. It basically streamlines all of HR business processes, such as Hiring, Goals (performance), Recognition, and Compensation. This allows easy access from management to employee review. Give the employees a true view of all the information with the ability to upload documents and update their information at anytime.
Many users think the training option is too expensive. Others feel that the advanced features are difficult to master, such as generating reports which may be complicated for some users.
SAP SuccessFactors is a cloud-based HRIS Systems specifically for the talent management needs of businesses or divisions with fewer than 500 employees. These system includes personnel files, organization chart, goal setting and performance management, and related Android and iPhone applications. SuccessFactors helps organizations align strategy with objectives & manage people performance to ensure execution & results. Execution is the difference.
SuccessFactors is one of the rare HR management systems that can genuinely transform handling HR, and drive businesses towards growth by simply assigning tasks in a better way. Core HR, payroll, applicant tracking, on-boarding, learning management, performance review, goal management, and compensation management are all available in the SAP SuccessFactors suite.
Overall this HR management solutions is good software with in depth details and management highly suitable for large enterprises. It provides complete solutions starting from KRA/ KPI management, Learning and Development, Talent acquisition etc which cater most HR department requirement. This software also has complete customization available which can be changed according to need of the organization.
Successfactors Mobile App
SAP SuccessFactors mobile increases your business agility by providing you free, secure and instant access to your SAP SuccessFactors solutions while on the go. With SAP SuccessFactors Mobile you can:
- Get to know your organization: Explore your company’s org chart, find people in your company fast and then connect via email, phone, or a text.
- Collaborate around relevant business content: Stay on top of projects, find experts and content, and contribute new documents, photos and videos.
- Speed up recruiting: Monitor applications, approve requisitions, assess the candidates, provide candidate feedback, and approve offers.
- Learn anywhere: Sign up for courses, connect with experts, and even complete entire classes while on the go.
- Move your Core HR forward, faster: Approve employee change requests on your mobile device and move workflows forward.
- Stay focused on your goals: Manage your active goal plans and update your goal status and progress towards completion.
- Request time off on the spot: View your time off balance, submit time off requests to your manager and let colleagues know when you will be away from work.
- Gain workforce insights: Access relevant and timely workforce analytics and insights to make business decisions with confidence.
The SAP Enterprise support package includes a variety of offerings for users. First, there is the customer community for users to communicate and share ideas on issues with the software or on general HR topics. There is also a support portal for browsing through articles and videos and submitting support requests. Users can also reach out to support via live chat. And users can learn more about SuccessFactors via webinars.
SAP offers its SAP Preferred Care option for clients that want to work with a dedicated support manager. This option provides mission-critical support and best practice for escalating support issues. For example, a priority 4 support (low priority support) response time would be within eight hours rather than two business days that SAP Enterprise support provides. The customer support manager also provides guidance in scaling or down the solution, as well as help in navigating new product releases.
SuccessFactors SMB and enterprise pricing information is available only upon request. Contact the company and share your needs to obtain more details.
Successfactors is great for large companies with set curricula in place. Custom Reporting, Multiple Learning Types Supported. Ability to add references/global resources. Integrated with SAP GlobalScape (previously iContent).
A few users said that this software is very expensive and it has a lot of features that won’t be useful to a lot of customers. Also, few users have reported that customer service support tends to be slow.
ADP Workforce NOW
ADP Workforce is a cloud-based HRIS Systems that provides expert support and analytics for data-driven insights. ADP has all of the tools needed to be able to provide you with a Single Source Solution that is fully integrated. It offers services for managing payroll and tax filing, benefits, bonuses, commissions, time and attendance, employee health statistics, and talent management.
- Payroll – ADP WorkForce Now offers similar payroll and tax features as the RUN Small Business solution, such as quick payroll processing, tax filing services and direct deposit.
- Time & Attendance – The software allows you to improve productivity with automated time tracking, reporting features, and employee self-service that is accessible on mobile devices.
- HR Management – ADP Workforce Now automate and streamline these following key needs: Employee record keeping, New-hire onboarding, Policy acknowledgement, Workforce reporting, Employee status changes, Compliance tracking and reporting, Tracking awards, licenses, skills and certifications.
- Talent Management – Talent management help employees take their natural ability and potential even further. These feature includes: Performance Management, Learning, Leadership Development, Compensation, and Succession.
- Benefits Administration – You can streamline the process of managing benefit plans. Plus, you can get ACA compliance support and enhanced enrollment capabilities.
- Executive and manager insights – ADP’s artificial intelligence identify and push relevant, location-based insights to executives and managers about their teams through ADP® Mobile Solutions.
With ADP Workforce Now, clients also receive self-service tools for employees and manager, such as the widely used ADP Mobile app, to clocking with geo-fencing, access paychecks, timecards, benefit information and more.
ADP offers different support sites for employees and client administrators. The employee support site has several resources, including answers to common questions, guides on troubleshooting year-end form issues, and phone numbers and links for issues related to payroll or benefits. The client administrator support site has similar content, but specifically targets administrative issues.
Depending on the product package, ADP’s expert staff provides support on benefits administration and payroll (including contacting the IRS on the client’s behalf), gives HR resources to clients’ employees (HR help desk or forms library), or offers consultations on HR strategy or day-to-day issues.
ADP Workforce Now’s pricing structure isn’t readily available on their website, but according to a third party website, pricing starts at $62 per month. Potential users are encouraged to contact their sales team to get a custom quote.
The one of the good thing about this software is the ability to scheduling and allowing your employees get notification both the night before along with before their shift so that they know when they work without having to check their schedule daily. It also is the one of the most best payroll software that provides Payroll and tax filing services for companies who want to outsource these functions.
Overall ADP Workforce Now is good software to automate and streamlines HR business processes.
The software still has some features that need to be upgraded to make a more efficient system. Plus some of the features that are not as good require you to buy add-ons to be more efficient.
Zoho People is part of Zoho’s full suite of applications for small and medium businesses. It’s a basic HRIS systems designed to streamline a company’s HR and administrative processes. Before you choose Zoho People, you need to know that Zoho People provides HR management at a very basic level – which is good if you don’t need too much customisation or complexity.
Basically, all those administrative jobs like Leave management, attendance management, time tracking, employee data maintenance, form customizations, etc, has been simply automated.
Zoho People provides all the tools you need to help your HR staff and employees stay efficient, up-to-date, and productive, even on the go.
- Core HR – In Zoho you can set your organization’s hours, track your employee attendance, and handle shift schedules. It’s also provides check-in and check-out options both on web and mobile.
- Integrates with biometric devices – Integrate your Zoho People account with the API from Zoho, and you can capture employee check-in and check-out using biometric or other attendance devices.
- Performance – It’s a continuous feedback system and evaluate employees with customized performance appraisal methods.
- Case Management – This feature will help you sort and organize questions, track their status, and reply promptly.
- Employee Self-service – With Self-Service, employees can submit their personal details, apply leave, log time and do a whole host of other actions through the web or mobile app.
- Document Management – Zoho People provides File Cabinet that stores all your documents in a single, central, secure location. For the myriad documents that need to be signed and filed, Zoho People integrates with Zoho Sign, Docu Sign, and Adobe Sign.
- Customization – With this HR software you can automating your daily HR processes like mail alerts, tasks, approvals and schedulers. It’s also provide workflow automation tool that automates all your HR processes, by eliminating most of the manual administrative work.
- Analytics – Zoho People integrates with Zoho Reports to help you know the details that matter the most. It’s provides quick view of each department’s early turnover rate, hiring vs attrition trends, employee performance based on estimated and logged hours, effective growth report, tasks dashboard, and more.
Zoho People Mobile App
Zoho People’s provides native apps for iOS and Android keep you connected. With mobile app, you can apply for leave, log time, clock-in/out, from anywhere. If employees have a query, they can go ahead and ask their HR team. HR agents can pick up the questions, assign tasks, and answer on the go.
Zoho Corporation offers a globally available, 24/7 phone support system. The Zoho People Help Page includes a database of FAQ’s that can be searched, so that users can view common questions from other organizations. A series of documents, apps, and forums are also available as resources for customers that need assistance.
Zoho People has a free option and four paid plans: Essential HR ($1/employee/month), Professional ($2/employee/month), Premium ($3/employee/month), and Enterprise ($5/employee/month). The main differences between the plans include storage capacities, number of forms, call limit, and access to advanced features like attendance tracking, biometrics integrations, shift scheduling, time tracking, and more.
Zoho People has a lot of very useful features for automating the HR management process. It’s also enables great collaboration and effective communication between employees. Another good thing about this product is the ability to integrate with attendance devices for capture employee check-in and check-out.
There is a steep learning curve and it is not that intuitive, so it takes some time to navigate your way around.