Agile project management focuses on continuous improvement, scope flexibility, team input, and delivering essential quality products. Agile project management approaches include scrum as a framework, extreme programming (XP) for building in quality upfront, and lean thinking to eliminate waste.
Agile project management is fundamentally different from classical project management. Agile development teams are small and self-managing.
Unlike following a waterfall approach like in classical project management, Agile project management is iterative and aims at constantly incorporating user feedback.
Many Agile Project Management Software help organizations, teams, and individuals adhere to the Agile Manifesto and the 12 Agile Principles, which focus on people, communications, the product, and flexibility. Through this post we try to highlight the features and price of some of the best Agile Project Management Software.
Jump To :
- The impact of agile methods on project management software
- Best Free Agile Project Management Software
- Best Agile Project Management Software Overall
The Impact of Agile Methods on Software Project Management
The selection of a method for a specific project must be very careful, taking into consideration many different
factors. In many cases, being both Agile and stable at the same time will be necessary. A contradictory combination, it seems, and therefore extra challenging, but not impossible. As Siemens states, “We firmly believe that agility is necessary, but that it should be built on top of an appropriately mature process foundation, not instead of it” .
However, Agile Methods are not appropriate for all projects. A project manager must consider the characteristics of the project to ensure that an Agile Method is appropriate. The impact on the people, the process, and the project must all be considered. For example, if a team of largely junior members is applied to a project that has very well understood requirements, and armature software process is already in place in the organizations, there are three characteristics that argue against applying Agile Methods as a whole. However, the principle of small team might still be appropriate to reduce risks. Furthermore, specific challenges with using an Agile Method can be offset by adding back some formality. For example, if migration to a separate maintenance group is required, documentation could be written by the development group as part of the transition .
Agile Methods offer software project managers an alternative development and management methodology that provides good support for projects with ill-defined or rapidly changing requirements. Even on project that are questionable for the application of the entire Agile Method, underlying agile principles may still be effective. Project managers should consider its usage for such projects assuming that they have a team capable of using it and can implement the required processes. Otherwise, more traditional approaches may be more appropriate.
Best Free Agile Project Management Software
The variety of Agile project management tools available today is impressive to say the least. Many of them come with a free plan. Here is a selection of free Agile Project Management Software that will help you manage your Agile software development team more effectively.
Redmine with Agile Plugins
Redmine is a flexible project management web application. Written using the Ruby on Rails framework, it is cross-platform and cross-database. Redmine is open source and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2 (GPL). With Redmine Agile Plugin, its gives you access to drag&drop agile board, swimlanes, Sprint planner, Story Points, WIP limits. Scrum and Kanban ready. Redmine Agile Plugin is available in free version.
Redmine Main Features
- Multiple projects support
- Flexible role based access control
- Flexible issue tracking system
- Gantt chart and calendar
- News, documents & files management
- Feeds & email notifications
- Per project wiki
- Per project forums
- Time tracking
- Custom fields for issues, time-entries, projects and users
- SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial and Bazaar)
- Issue creation via email
- Multiple LDAP authentication support
- User self-registration support
- Multilanguage support
- Multiple databases support
Redmine Agile Plugins Free Version Features
- Agile Ajax board – Your Agile whiteboard in Redmine. Track issues, prioritize them, and appoint assignees smarter and faster. Move pieces of work with drag & drop. Comment, interact with checklists, and add issues straight from the board. It can be configured for Scrum, Kanban, or mixed methodology. It’s workflow aware and will not allow unpermitted status transitions.
- Agile charts – Quickly visualize and monitor the current status and progress of your projects. Use it to respond to any unforeseen circumstances in your development process. For example, you can estimate the likelihood of achieving a Sprint goal with Burn-down and Burn-up charts by tracking the amount of work remaining in a given sprint. Use charts to see current and ideal distribution of work.
- Sub-columns and swimlanes – With Redmine Agile plugin, you can duplicate any phase of your projects or processes using columns and subcolumns. You can also use swimlanes to arrange and separate issues by parent tasks or asignee.
- Sprint planner – Sprint planner allows you to see which issues belong to a particular sprint and reassign them effortlessly among sprints and backlogs with split view. A Sprint is a set of features and fixes that you will release as a single update to your software product.
- Story Points – Now you can assign and measure the effort required to implement each story by adding Story Points. You can see the summary of assigned SP for each issue and every phase of the project (column on the board).
- Work in Progress limits – You can set the maximum number of tasks allowed in each phase, represented by a column of a board. Using WIP Kanban metric, you can control the number of tasks, keep work balanced, and ensure high productivity of your team.
Redmine Agile Plugins Overview
- Free – Includes Agile boards, Version planner, and Burndown chart
- PRO Single-server ($399) – Everything in free plan plus: Saving boards, Default boards, Horizontal swim lanes, Board sub-columns, Additional agile charts, Additional card fields, Colors, Card context menu, and Bulk edit.
- PRO Multi-server ($899) – Everything in PRO Single Server plus unlimited number of servers.
Customer Service & Support
Redmine’s support only available via community forums. However, redmine provides a complete guide to running applications, from software installation guides to the use of available features.
Tuleap – Open Source Agile Project Management software
Tuleap, Open Source software for Application Lifecycle Management Tuleap is a fully Libre & Open Source software for Application Lifecycle Management: Agile Development, V-model, Requirement Management, IT services… Tuleap is being used by big companies, innovative SME’s, FLOSS projects and Research Centers alike to make software projects more productive, collaborative and industrialized.
- Project Management– No two software development teams are alike. With Tuleap, teams of all kinds — agile ninjas, newbies, or waterfall-oriented — can work together under one roof, whatever their programming language.
- Issue Tracking – Track any type of items: requirements, stories, tasks, bugs, requests, to-do’s, etc. You can use workflow templates or create your own, for each tracker and for each project. You can also set permissions on individual trackers or individual fields.
- Continous Development – Choose your preferred version control system, Git or SVN for each project.
- Document Management – One document area for each project team (Create, store, link and version documents)
- Collaboration – Real-time collaboration with Mattermost connector. Keep your team in the loop with notifications delivered directly to Mattermost channel, an instant messaging service, Open source Slack-alternative.
- Unlimited Users
Tuleap Agile Project Management Overview
- Community Edition – No fee at all
- Enterprise Edition – €9.7/user/month or €2,900/year (pack 25 users), €3.9/user/month or €23,200/year (pack 500 users)
- In the Cloud – €9/user/month
Customer Service & Support
Tuleap’s knowledge base includes demo videos, articles, and documentation page on their website. Tuleap offered support via community forum for all plan and professional support for thir paid plan.
Openproject – Open Source Scrum and Agile Project Management Software
Openproject is a open source Scrum and Agile project management software which can be used not only for the comprehensive management of a project but also for its implementation. It is a powerful tool designed to record all activities related to corporate projects, and to make communication between users available (through comments to tasks, forums, wiki).
Openproject Main Features
- Gantt Charts and Timelines – With timeline project management you can schedule your tasks and visualize the required steps to complete your project. As a project manager you are directly informed about delays in your project and can act accordingly.
- Product roadmap and release planning – OpenProject is the easiest way to plan, visualize, and communicate your product roadmap. Share your product roadmap with your stakeholders, get feedback about your ideas and break it down into a detailed release plan.
- Task management and team collaboration – You can easily create, assign and manage your work. As a project manager you stay always on top of the latest development. Task management is equipped with tools to customize workflow, customize permissions, Integrated Gantt chart, and many other features.
- Agile and Scrum – Agile teams have short development cycles. They iterate fast to build, measure and learn with each version. With fast user feedback they simply waste no time and can concentrate on building the right things. OpenProject is the perfect tool for agile teams that want to use agile methodologies such as Scrum.
- Time tracking, cost reporting and budgeting – OpenProject time tracking software offers the easiest way to log time and project accounting (track costs and manage budgets).
- Bug tracking – Quality assurance teams rely on fast issue tracking and clear communciation within the team and across departments. OpenProject excels at bug tracking, offering QA managers and testers a platform to capture, classify and prioritize bugs.
- Unlimited Users
Agile project management features
- Product Backlogs and Sprints
- Estimate effort in story points
- Online task board
- Templates to print user stories
- Burndown chart
- Track sprint impediments
Openproject Agile and Scrum Overview
- Free – Free forever, install by yourself
- Cloud (€4,95 / user / month, Minimum 5 users) – Hosting from the OpenProject experts, premium features and support
- Enterprise (€5,95 / user / month, Minimum 2 users) – Powerful premium features, high security and professional support
Customer Service & Support
OpenProject supports German, English, Spanish, French, Italian Portuguese and many more. Users can access the Getting Started guide to learn more about Openproject.
Openproject offers installation support by their technical partner Ionas to assist you with your on-premise installation and integration with your other systems. Openproject also offers several options for maintenance and support plans.
Bitrix24 – Free Online Scrum Software
Bitrix24 offers invaluable document sharing, task management and time tracking tools integrated with it. You can track all the changes and new additions of intranet and extranet via Bitrix24 – it covers all aspects of activity stream including mixed function section, social and production of intranet. It allows employees to contribute in discussions and stay updated from the current happenings. Internal message feature enables you to send messages and files along with save history and indexing.
Bitrix24 is probably the most powerful free project management currently on the market. Tasks, projects, substasks, templates, dependences, kanban, time tracking, quotes, invoices, client management and lots of other goodies.
Bitrix24 Free Plan Features
- Free plan limitation – 12 Users, 1 Admins, and 5 GB Online Storage
- Project Management and Tasks – Bitrix24 has extensive organizational features which enhance efficiency at the personal and group levels. Tasks can be defined for oneself or assigned to a colleague, or delegated after being received.
- Gantt Chart – Tasks and subtasks can be viewed in a Gantt chart with status, responsible person, and chronological relationships. This gives a full picture of the progression of the project at a single glance, and helps identify potential or existing delays.
- Task dependencies – Task dependencies, a popular project management tool, are available in all Bitrix24 plans, including the free one. This tool allows you to establish logical relationships between tasks. All four dependency types are supported.
- Kanban – Kanban view is available for tasks and projects (workgroups) as well as inside task planner. True to agile project management approach, Kanban stages are fully customizable and can be set by each user individually.
- Employee Workload Management in tasks – The employee workload planning in project management let you finish more tasks on time and identify which ones are getting dangerously close to being overdue. Supervisors can allocate how much time should be spent on each task and then track actual time spent completing them. Monthly reports on time spent on tasks for each department and each employee are available.
- Counters and roles – Task counters help you keep the tasks which require immediate attention in mind. The counter indicates that you or one of your colleagues has a task with some problem or is incompletely assigned (overdue, not evaluated after completion, or no deadline stated, etc.).
- Checklist – Add a checklist to a task and follow the progress point-by-point. This is very convenient when a task involves several steps or there are multiple participants.
- Templates and Automation – Repeating tasks and task templates help you automate regular chores and recurring work routines. Because task templates in Bitrix24 support subtasks and checklists, they are ideal for repeating business processes, such as hiring/terminating employees, onboarding new clients or starting new projects. Automatic task creation triggered by specific events is available via Bitrix24 visual business process designer.
- Workgroups – Any combination of employees can be collected into a workgroup which contains all the social networking and organizational tools needed to optimize operations and utilize the highly efficient communications methods available in Bitrix24.
- Learn more about Bitrix24 features
Bitrix24 Task and Project Management Webinar
- Free (No fees at all) – 12 users, 1 admins, and 5GB online storage
- Plus ($39 / month) – 24 users, 2 admins, and 24GB online storage
- Standard ($99 / month) – 50 users, 5 admins, and 100GB online storage
- Professional ($199 / month) – Unlimited users, unlimited admins, and unlimited online storage
Customer Service & Support
Users can click Support at the top of any page to access FAQs, trending topics, and a search box that will scour the knowledge base for helpful articles. If you can’t find your answer there, then you can click the Contact Bitrix24 Care Support Team button at the bottom of the page to submit a support ticket. You should expect a response within 16 hours unless you subscribe to the free plan, in which case it may take up to 32 hours. The website also offers free webinars, partner assistance, and a user forum.
Taiga.io – Project Management Platform for Agile Developers and Project Managers
Taiga is an open source project management platform built for startups, agile developers, designers and project managers. The platform is fully customizable and handles both simple and complex projects using agile methodologies and features such as scrum, kanban and epics. Multiplatform importers allow users to bring in projects from Trello, Jira, Github, and Asana into Taiga.
Taiga Free Version Features
- Free plan limitation – Up to 3 members on private project; 1 Private project; Unlimited public projects; Up to 300MB of storage in private projects
- Scrum – The product backlog is what will ultimately be delivered, ordered into the sequence in which it should be delivered. Product Backlogs are broken into manageable, executable chunks named sprints. Every certain amount of time the team initiates a new sprint and commits to deliver a certain number of user stories from the backlog, in accordance with their skills, abilities and resources. The project advances as the backlog becomes depleted.
- Kanban – A kanban card is like an index card or post-it note that details every task (or user story) in a project that needs to be completed. The Kanban board is used to move each card from one state of completion to the next and in so doing, helps track progress.
- Epics multiproject – Epics on Taiga open up a whole host of new planning opportunities for those of you managing multiple projects with relationships between them. With Epics you can establish and track hierarchical or related relationships between user stories on different projects.
- Multiplatform importers – You have a lot of projects in another platform but you’ll love to manage them in Taiga? Never fear, we have your back. Use Taiga importers to bring your Trello, Jira, Asana, Github into Taiga and see just how much more gorgeous they look.
- Learn more about Taiga Features
- Free – Up to 3 members on private project, 1 Private project, Unlimited public projects, and Up to 300MB of storage in private projects
- Premium ($5/mo per unique member across owned projects, $60 paid yearly) – Unlimited members on private project, unlimited Private project, Unlimited public projects, and Up to 10GB of storage in private projects
- Enterprise (Contact Taiga to get the Price) – Extended support, On-premise option, Cloud option, It might make sense for more than 50 users, Particularly cost-effective beyond the 150 user mark
Customer Service & Support
Support is offered via FAQs, support pages, and community support.
Best Agile Project Management Software Overall
Agile board for EasyRedmine
EasyRedmine provides a simple and easy to use tracking and project management software system all built into one. Redmine’s issue tracking or ticketing system gives developers a fast and flexible tool to address issues with the software. The tool can also be used to track projects and to “chunk” projects into smaller bite-sized sub-projects that increase productivity and help members of a team keep up to date with the progress of a project.
Agile board for Easy Redmine is a plugin for agile development, suitable for both Scrum & Kanban methodologies, which allows you to work with sprints, backlogs, tasks in backlog, and their statuses. The main benefit of Easy Redmine is its ability to combine both classical and agile management in one solution.
- Two methodologies: Scrum and Kanban
- Project backlog for tasks that are not part of the current sprint
- Drag & drop sprint backlog creation
- Swim-lane sorting of tasks according to users
- Unlimited number of sprints
- Task filters and board search
Agile Board for EasyRedmine Overview
- Small team (up to 25 users) – $ 39 / month (billed annually)
- Medium team (up to 50 users) – $ 59 / month (billed annually)
- Large team (up to 100 users) – $ 119 / month (billed annually)
- Enterprise (100+ users) – Contact Easyredmine
Customer Service & Support
Support requests must be submitted through the client zone, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Easyredmine use the rule of 3 replies on one ticket. If the issue is not solved, Easyredmine will try calling the submitter for clarifications. According to our experience, their Customer support is always responsive.
JIRA – Best Software Development Tool Used by Agile Teams
In our opinion, Jira is the best Agile Project Management Software for software development. JIRA unlocks the power of Agile Project Management, whether you’re a seasoned agile expert, or just getting started.
Creating and estimating stories, building a sprint backlog, identifying team commitment and velocity, visualizing team activity, reporting on team progress are all essential aspects of agile planning but sometimes can seem like more work than actually running the project.
JIRA is a tracker for teams planning and building great products. The programme works by connecting colleagues, activities and tools thus enabling them to work more efficiently.Teams choose JIRA to capture and organise issues, assign work, and follow team activity. The application is available at your desk but also with their new mobile interface, you can access JIRA on the go.
- Scrum boards – Agile teams can stay focused on delivering iterative and incremental value, as fast as possible, with customizable scrum boards.
- Kanban – Flexible kanban boards give your team full visibility into what’s next so you can continuously deliver maximum output in minimal cycle time.
- Agile reporting – Teams have access to more than a dozen out-of-the-box reports with real-time, actionable insights into how their team is performing sprint over sprint.
- Agile roadmap planning – With the Portfolio for Jira app you can create a roadmap that’s connected to your work in Jira Software, track progress across teams and projects and easily share your plan with stakeholders.
- Developer tool integrations – Integrate with developer tools for end-to-end traceability
Integration with Developer Tools
- Fisheye/Crucible: version 3.3+
- Bamboo: version 5.4+
- Bitbucket: either the current cloud version or server version 4.0+ (Stash version 2.10+)
- GitHub: the current cloud version
- GitHub Enterprise: version 11.10.290+
- Up to 10 Users – $10 monthly flat fee.
- 11 – 100 Users – $2.50 per user / month.
Customer Service & Support
Support requests must be submitted through their website. If you think you’ve found a bug, you can visit their system status and bug reports for the latest updates on known issues. In addition, you can access their support page to learn more about Jira Software.
VersionOne – Enterprise Agile Management Software
VersionOne is agile project management software platform for software development teams. VersionOne helps development teams, project managers, and business owners enable software agility, providing excellent project management performance. This solution supports Scrum, Lean, XP, and Kanban methodologies.
It offers powerful collaboration features, with storyboards and taskboards for a status update, questions, and conversation. The business intelligence function provides its users with data visualization, reporting, and project analysis.
This software maintains multi-dimensional structure, which is aimed at merging multiple projects in a single view. Besides that, there are a lot of other features that make agile project management more efficient.
VersionOne Key Features
- Agile Portfolio Planning – The Portfolio Planner consolidates the portfolio planning, prioritization, and estimation functions to allow you to focus on higher level planning separate from your product-level backlog.
- Portfolio and Team Kanban – The Portfolio Kanban board provides an at-a-glance grid view of the portfolio items in a project. Here, you can visualize, plan, and track the progress of your strategic project development initiatives . This visualization shows the highest level of detail available for any given project view, and provides editable access to details behind each portfolio item.
- Team Collaboration – As your team begins working, you can use any of Lifecycle’s collaboration tools to stay in tune with what’s going on.
- Release and Iteration Tracking – The Sprint/Iteration Tracking provides a view of all activity within a selected project scope, so can be a way to view progress across multiple teams with individual TeamRooms.
- Budgeting and Allocation – Establish budgets by strategic theme or project/program within a portfolio; allocate points, dollars, or percentages to the respective items within the portfolio; set up as many budget models as necessary.
- See all features
Integrate with leading commercial and open source software development tools and applications such as Jira, CA Agile, ServiceNow, Microsft TFS, HP, Salesforce.com, Perforce, and GIT.
- Starting Price $29.00/month/user
- Free Version
- Free Trial
Customer Service & Support
Support is available via FAQs, phone and through other online reources like live chat or their support portal page. Users can also ask various issues through the forum.
Sprintground – Developer’s Tool for Agile Project Management
Sprintground is developer’s tool for Agile Project Management, Task Management, Sprint Planning, Collaboration and Issue Tracking. SprintGround provides a platform for users to store ideas and manage tasks, as well as prioritize and categorize tasks. The product provides a searchable database of available tasks – users can see what others are working on, assign work to team members and discuss projects.
- Organize your work – Store your ideas, manage your tasks, prioritize and categorize them. With SprintGround you also can order, filter and search your tasks.
- Collaboration – See what others are working on, no matter where they are located. Assign work to them and discuss it. No more filling your email inbox with unorganized pieces of information. Take advantage of centralized communication.
- Add files – Add screenshots & log files to your tasks and comments. Share designs & mockups with your team and enjoy the ease of drag&drop, thumbnails and zoom-in image viewing.
- Track Progress – Real time tracking work progess.
- Plan releases accurately – Estimates are automatically calculated for you and for the team, taking everyone’s personal working schedule into account.
- Invite Product Owners to follow the progress – Allow product owners to follow your release schedule and contribute to projects by submitting ideas, feature requests and feedback.
- Track changes – SprintGround provides you with clean and easy to read change logs. But that’s not all. You can view per-field changes done by particular user, for a particular release or for the whole project.
- Get notified – Receive instant email notifications whenever changes are made that are important to you.
- Support for methodologies like Scrum, Kanban as well as linear approach
SprintGround is being developed keeping different methodologies in mind. Tools like Kanban board (Task board) and Burndown charts are ready to serve your team.
- Free – 3 Users, 2 Projects. and 50 MB File Storage
- Starter (€24 / month) – 8 Users, Unlimited Projects, and 1 GB File Storage
- Business (€59 / month) – 20 Users, Unlimited Projects, and 2 GB File Storage
- Enterprise (€5 / user / month) – 21+ Users, Unlimited Projects, and 5 GB File Storage
Customer Service & Support
Users can click Support at the top of any page to access FAQs. In addition, support request can be submitted through their contact page.
Active.Collab – Professional Agile Project Management Software
ActiveCollab is professional agile project management software that helps agile teams plan projects and stay on the right track. The Active Collab app was designed to meet the needs of professionals working on projects together as a group. It can be used by software developers, designers, project managers, content creators, marketing managers, and many other similar professions. You can easily prevent confusion between members, and you won’t have to worry about missed emails or messages. You can also use the software to monitor your work hours and invoices.
- Projects – Keep all your work, files, and team communication organized around projects, in one place.
- Kanban view – Move tasks like cards on a Kanban board in this agile Agile project management software.
- Gantt-like timeline – See your projects on a timeline so you can better plan start and due dates.
- Projects timeline – See all your projects in one timeline so you can see how they overlap and manage resources better.
- Activity stream – See everything that happened across all projects or within a certain project.
- Powerful reports – See what’s due soon or what’s running late by running a highly customizable report.
- Project templates – Save time when starting new projects by defining a template and then creating new projects from it.
- 5 members, $25/month, 5GB space
- 15 members, $49/month, 15GB space
- 30 members, $99/month, 30GB space
- 60 members, $199/month, 60GB space
- Unlimited members, $299/month, 500GB space
Customer Service & Support
The customer support is great, quick, responsive, and always available. Users can access their help page to learn how to use Active.Collab. If you can’t find your answer there, support request can be submitted by email to email@example.com (to get support), firstname.lastname@example.org (to report a bug), and email@example.com (to suggest a feature).
- Paulisch F., Volker A., “Agility—build on a mature foundation”, in: Proc. Software Engineering Process Group
Conference—SEPG 2002, 2002.
- Paul M.C., “Agile methodologies and process discipline”, Crosstalk (Oct. 2002).
- Abrahamson P., Salo O., Ronkainen J., Warsta J., “Agile software development methods”,VTT Publications 478