What is Accounting Software?
Accounting software is a computer program that assists bookkeepers and accountants in recording and reporting a firm’s financial transactions. The functionality of accounting software differs from product to product. Larger firms may choose to implement a customized solution that integrates a vast amount of data from many different departments. Small firms often choose an off-the-shelf product.
There are innumerable no. of business accounting software available in the market this days which help in the preparation of accounts and balance sheet of a small business entity. Through this post we try to highlight the features and price of some of the best accounting software.
- Small Business Accounting Software
- Accounting Software for MAC
- Accounting Software for Personal Use
- Free Accounting Software
- Best Accounting Software Overall
Small Business Accounting Software
Bookkeeping and accounting software automatically tracks and categorizes every dollar you spend and earn, providing greater insight into your business’s finances. Additional features may also include tax preparation and accounting services, inventory management, invoicing and payments, and payroll support. These tools can save valuable time and money.
Here are some of the best accounting and bookkeeping software solutions for small businesses, with prices and features.
Pricing : Start from $7.5 / month
QuickBooks Online is the gold standard in cloud-based online accounting software packages and is perfect for small business owners. Get access to features like payroll, A/R and A/P, inventory reports, financial statements and more. Best of all, it’s easy to use.
QuickBooks Online Features
Track income & expenses
- Connect your accounts – Automatically import transactions from your bank, credit cards, PayPal, Square, and more.
- Automatically sort transactions – QuickBooks sorts transactions into tax categories.
- Snap photos of receipts – Ditch the shoebox. Snap and save photos of receipts so you’re ready in case of an audit.
- Uncover every tax deduction – Keep things organized in one place so you never miss a deduction.
Invoicing & Payments
- Smart invoicing – Accept payment right in the online invoice. Customers can pay by credit card, Apple Pay, free ACH bank transfer, or over the phone.
- Free bank transfers – Save time with free ACH bank transfers—no more paper checks, transaction fees, or hectic bank runs.
- Make it easy to get paid – Send smart invoices that customers can pay anywhere, anytime, plus track and manage multiple currencies.
- Receive instant notifications – Get real-time alerts when customers view and pay invoices. Automated reminders let customers know payment is due.
- Automatic matching – QuickBooks automatically matches payments with invoices to save you time, no matter how your customers pay.
- Invoice incrementally – Create full, partial, or custom amounts to invoice your clients for all, or just parts, of the job.
Track sales & sales tax
- Personalized sales tax rates – Get custom rates automatically added to invoices based on what you sell, where you are, and where you ship.
- Know when to pay – Avoid late fees and stay on top of returns with payment reminders.
- Don’t stress the tax rules – There are thousands of tax laws that may apply to your business. QuickBooks keep track of them all and update them as they change.
Manage bills (Available on QuickBooks Essentials)
- Create bills – Say goodbye to missed payments by setting up recurring bills.
- Record bills – Easily record and track bills you’ve paid by check or direct deposit.
- Print checks – Create checks from anywhere and print them when you’re ready.
- Vendor management – Set up vendors, manage invites, and control when you incur expenses.
- Recurring purchase orders – Put purchase orders on autopilot by creating customized purchase orders. (Available on QuickBooks Plus)
- Pay multiple bills – Pay multiple bills and vendors at the same time.
- Generate sales quotes (Available on QuickBooks Essentials and QuickBooks Plus)
- Track inventory (Available on QuickBooks Plus)
- Create purchase orders (Available on QuickBooks Plus)
- Track project or job profitability (Available on QuickBooks Plus)
Works on PC, Mac, and mobile
- QuickBooks Online
- QuickBooks Desktop
- QuickBooks Mac Desktop
- QuickBooks Accountant
Pricing : Start from $15 / month
FreshBooks is just one way to handle your accounts and finances so that you can focus on what matters: taking care of business. This Canada-based software company offers professional automatic invoicing, expense management, detailed reports, proposal estimates, time tracking and fast payments, among other small business accounting essentials.
- Invoicing – FreshBooks makes creating professional looking invoices for your business ridiculously easy. It’s simple to create and customize your invoice and add your logo.
- Expenses – Connect your bank account or credit card to FreshBooks and say goodbye to manual entry.
- Time Tracking – Know at-a-glance how your entire team is spending their time. You’ll be able to quickly understand what work has been completed and spot any issues before they become problems.
- Projects – FreshBooks is built exclusively for small-business owners and their teams to boost productivity. To kick-off seamless collaboration invite your Contractors, Employees and Business Partners to manage projects and decide which files they’ll have access to with team permissions.
- Estimates – With FreshBooks, you can transform your custom estimates into ready-to-pay invoices in a flash.
- Payments – FreshBooks Payments lets your customers pay directly through invoices and automatically records each payment in your account. It’s fast, easy, secure and perfectly integrated.
- Reports – FreshBooks makes it easy to know exactly how your business is performing. Use FreshBooks’ insightful dashboards and reports. They’re full of valuable information to show you exactly what you need, at‑a‑glance.
Available on Android and IOS
Unlimited free support on emails and phone.
Pricing : Start from $9 / Organization / Month
Zoho Books is an online accounting software that manages your finances, gets you tax ready, automates business workflows, and helps you work collectively across departments. The data in this accounting software is not saved in your device but is saved over the cloud and can easily accessed from anywhere. As the data is not saved in your device, it is also safe from any system related errors/ crashes.
Zoho Books Features
- Demystify accounting – Zoho Books is a double entry accounting system which automatically creates a journal, moves money from one account to another, and appropriately applies debits and credits.
- Focus on work. Waste less time – Manage all your projects in a single place. Add tasks, assign project members, and log time from your mobile phone, or hit the timer button. With us, you can be sure to get your work done on time.
- Automate banking. Skip data entry – Zoho Books makes reconciliation a snap. Simply connect your bank and credit card accounts and match automated feeds with transactions in your account. Want to automate it all? Set up Bank Rules and watch transactions get categorized the moment they land in Zoho Books.
- Track, adjust, and replenish stock easily – Constantly monitoring the items you sell can be time consuming. Zoho Books automatically updates the quantity and the value of the items as they come in and out of the business. With Zoho Books, know the exact quantity available, adjust it when needed, and also set notifications to purchase items when the stock levels fall.
- Collaborate and work together – People are critical to every business. Be it your customers who bring in the money, your employees who help you run your business efficiently or the vendors who supply you with products or services, Zoho Books helps you manage them all from one place.
- Get paid faster online – Offer your customers the convenience to pay you from any location. No more standing in line or waiting for cash payments.
- Automate your workflow – Spend less time on repetitive tasks by setting up your recurring billing, payment reminders, auto charges, and payment thank you notes.
- Run reports in seconds – Understanding your business performance is the key to growing your business. The powerful analytics in Zoho Books help you see your receivables, payables, cash flow, income, and expenses right from your dashboard.
Mobile Accounting App
Available on Android, iOS, And Windows.
24/5 unlimited free support on emails, live chat and phone.
Accounting Software for MAC
If you own plenty of Apple computers in your enterprise running the MacOS operating system, then you would know the significance of an accounting software that is supported by the operating system. Most of the accounting software that are available, are compatible with both Windows and MacOS but which of them is really ideal for a Mac computer? We bring to you some of the best accounting software for Mac users.
QuickBooks for MAC
Price : Start from $7.5 / month
This is one of the most popular accounting software that has been designed especially for Mac users. It is a highly recommended software for small scale enterprises using the MacOS operating system. It lets you create invoices, monitor sales, retrieve information stored in the cloud storage from a variety of devices and coordinate with your accountant. It is a wonderful choice for small enterprises, self-employed entrepreneurs and even a great enterprise level solution. See more our QuickBooks overview above or visit website.
Pricing : Start from $9 / month
Xero is a popular accounting software designed for Mac users and consists of a simple and user-friendly interface. In addition, it is cross-platform friendly which means that users can employ it on both PCs running Windows as well as Apple computers running MacOS. It is a mobile responsive application as well and lets users monitor invoices, quotes, expenditure, payroll, inventory and acquisition.
Xero Basic Features
- Invite others – Invite your team members and accounting professionals any time you like.
- Get closer to your cash flow – Quotes, invoicing and the dashboard all help for an up-to-date financial snapshot.
- Financial performance reports – Create performance reports and budgets. No waiting until the end of the month.
- Connect to bank accounts – When your bank account is connected, your latest bank transactions automatically show in Xero.
- Integration with 700+ apps – Business applications like inventory and time tracking connect with Xero.
- Secure SSL encryption – Protecting your data.
- iPhone & Android apps – Do invoicing, create expense claims, and track sales and income on the go.
- Regular updates included – Every 3-6 weeks Xero release innovative new updates based on customer ideas.
24 hours every day support.
FreshBooks for MAC
Pricing : Start from $15 / month
Similar to Xero, FreshBooks is available online and comes in a mobile responsive version as well. It is an intuitive application that has gained massive traction among users who do not fancy accounting. It is extremely user-friendly and allows users to retrieve data from the cloud storage. The developers have added secure firewall to the application. It lets users keep track of time, payments and expenditure with ridiculous comfort. It is an ideal choice for a burgeoning startup. See more our FreshBooks overview above or visit website.
Accounting Software for Personal Use
The best accounting software for personal use should have easy-to-use interfaces that allow you to quickly categorize transactions, check transactions against your budget, and see how much money you have left to spend. They also track your progress, so you can log in every day and see how your good habits are leading to better finances.
Here is the best personal accounting software solutions for you.
Pricing : Start from $34.99 / year
Quicken for Windows is the gold standard in personal finance software and budgeting. It remains the app to beat with the most comprehensive features. Quicken available on Windows, Mac, and Mobile App (Android and IOS).
Quicken Starter ($34.99 / year)
- Import all your checking and credit card bank transactions safely and automatically
- See where your money is going – your transactions are automatically categorized
- Stay on top of your spending. Create a budget and manage your bills.
- Access to 11,000+ online billers, bill PDF downloads
- Expanded custom report layout options and direct Excel export
- 5GB of secure online backup for your Quicken files with Dropbox
Quicken Deluxe ($44.99 / year)
Includes everything in Starter, plus:
- Import your loan, investment and retirement account transactions
- Plan for the future you have in mind
- Create a plan to pay off debt or save for the future
- Move and archive investments transaction feature
Quicken Premier ($67.49 / year)
Includes everything in Deluxe, plus:
- See how your investments are performing with informed buy/sell decisions
- See realized and unrealized gains and continuously updated quotes
- Helps minimize taxes on investments
- Richer performance analysis with buy and hold comparison
- Free Quicken Bill Pay and priority access to Quicken phone support
Quicken Home and Business ($89.99 / year)
Includes everything in Premier, plus:
- Categorizes all your personal, business or rental property transactions all in one place
- See how your business is doing any time with profit/loss projections and cash flow reports
- Helps maximize business deductions while simplifying your taxes
- Custom invoices with your logo, color, and payment links
- E-mail rent reminders and receipts
Quicken financial products are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Chat with an agent for the fastest way to solve your issue. Chat support is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Phone Support
Get free expert help from a Quicken agent. Phone support is open Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific.
Free Accounting Software
Looking for free accounting software? Here are some of the best free online accounting software for small businesses.
Wave is a highly rated free accounting platform for new and small businesses, as well as for entrepreneurs, freelancers and contractors. It’s simple to use and navigate. Wave’s notable differentiator from other account apps, such as QuickBooks, Xero and FreshBooks, is that it is actually free to use.
Wave is priced by product, but you need to sign up for the core accounting product, which is free, to get access to everything else. Invoicing is free, but accepting payments requires a fee. Similarly, payroll requires a fee.
- Unlimited bank and credit card connections
- Unlimited income and expense tracking
- Unlimited guest collaborators
- Run multiple businesses in one account
- Invoice in any currency
- Quickly send estimates and turn them into invoices upon approval
- Accept credit cards and bank payments to get paid automatically
- Personalize your invoices with a choice of professional invoice templates
- Unlimited receipt scanning with our free iOS and Android apps
- Capture receipts even when you’re offline
- Receipts are automatically recorded in your Wave accounting transactions
Wave ready to answer all your questions with email support for all software (invoicing, accounting and receipt scanning). Live chat support is available for Wave paid financial services (Payments and Payroll).
Manager is another free accounting software. This Sydney-based software company offers free accounting software desktop edition. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Desktop edition is the most comprehensive free accounting software. It has all the features you’d expect from an accounting package.
You can use the desktop edition for as long as you like, use all the features and enter as much data as required. There are no time limits, no usage limits, no ads.
All of your work can be done offline on your desktop or laptop meaning you don’t lose access to your data or program if your Internet stops working or is not available.
Manager has been designed to adapt to any country. It is being translated to multiple languages, supports local tax codes, local date formats and local currency formats.
Desktop edition is available for download on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Our database format is universal across all operating systems which means an accounting file created on Windows can be easily transferred to Mac OS X or Linux if the need arises.
Manager listen to their user base and frequently issue new releases based on the feedback they received.
- Tutorial Based
Best Accounting Software Overall
NetSuite Accounting Software
Pricing : Not Published
Oracle NetSuite is the #1 cloud provider of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), and financial management system globally, suitable for growing companies needing easy group consolidation, multi language support & tax compliance. Oracle NetSuite’s solution suite is designed for the cloud, ideal for modern mid-large size businesses.
NetSuite Accounting Software Features
- General Ledger – Transform your General Ledger into a dynamic business asset
- Accounts Receivable – Optimize receivables and accelerate cash flows with total control
- Accounts Payable – Automate AP, save time, improve control and increase productivity
- Tax Management – Automated domestic and global tax compliance
- Fixed Assets Management – End-to-end lifecycle management for plant, property and equipment
- Cash Management – Monitor, predict and manage cash across global locations and entities in real-time
- Payment Management – Complete payment management solution that centralizes, streamlines and simplifies your payment needs
- Suite Support
- Technical Account Management
Microsft Dynamic 365
Pricing : Start from $190 / user / month
The system is intuitive with a broad range of modules. the out of the box system is quite impressive but the functionality remains limited as Microsoft is still working on tweaking certain parts of the system. There are updates that are added constantly which is critical to the ease of use and smooth operation.
Here are some Microsoft Dynamic Finance and Operation Features
- Elevate your financial performance – Close books faster, deliver robust reporting, increase profitability with business intelligence, and ensure global compliance.
- Run smarter operations – Bring agility and efficiency to your manufacturing to connect and optimize production planning, scheduling, operations, and cost management.
- Automate and streamline your supply chain – Modernize your supply chain with unified, advanced warehouse and inventory management to improve fulfillment, material sourcing, and logistics.
- Innovate with a modern and adaptable platform – Drive innovation with an intelligent application that is easy to tailor, extend, and connect to other apps and services you already use.
- Explore more Microsoft Dynamic Finance and Operation Features
Microsoft Dynamic Support
- Chat – Available Monday-Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM Central Time.
- Phone – Available Monday-Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM Central Time.
- Request Dynamic 365 contact you – Have a Dynamics 365 expert contact you.